Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: release plans

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: release plans
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:32:56 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And what if there are rules modifications without changing tiles ? Or
> tiles change without changing rules ? (as it is with trident tiles now)
> You have to specify different directories anyway.

And?  I don't see any problem with the current system in this
respect, or any advantage from separate client and server data
directories in this case.

> Of course again, it can be as well done with current layout.  What I'm
> trying to show is not that my layout allows things impossible with
> current one, but that it is easier to understand.
> You know, we could have everything in one directory, with just prefixes.

Yes, and at the other extreme one could have a binary directory
tree with one file in each terminal directory, but thats silly
too.  We have to balance various factors of convenience and
structure, and you have to argue specific pros and cons.

> I'm not quite sure, but it seems to me that currently there is not way
> to make separate client and server packages (like rpm or deb) which
> would work independent of each other and could be both installed without
> conflicts at same time. Why ? You have to decide which one will include
> entire data dir.

That depends entirely on the packager; as I said previously,
"I'm pretty sure packagers are able to pick and choose what to
include in what packages anyway if they want."

> So it is up to you, I've stated my opinion.

Well personally, more than just opinion I would prefer more
concrete arguments, and also detailed considerations on how
FREECIV_PATH and datafilename() etc should work, and any other
implications of specific proposed changes.

-- David