Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposed update to nations

To: ecogburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, FreeCiv <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposed update to nations
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:02:36 +0200

> > The changes for Romans and Germans are good. Though personally
> > I would not use cities that are not owned by given nation
> > anymore, to avoid another political discussion :-). In Dutch
> > case these would be (not 100%):
> >
> >  "Cochin", "Colombo", "Jaffna", "Paramaribo",
> >  "Recief", "Trivandrum", "Nieuw Amsterdam", "Fort Zeelandia",
> >  "Hollandia"
> >
> > and in German:
> >
> >  "Breslau", "Stettin", "Danzig", "Konigsberg", "Posen", "Thorn"

>       Is this last list of cities meant for the Modern Germany?  If so,

No, Jerzy said  he does *not* want them for modern Germany.
(All of them except Konigsberg are in Poland.)

> then there is a problem with "Konigsberg", namely that it is no
> longer under control of Germany and its now officially known as
> "Kaliningrad".  Since the end of the Soviet Union, it may have
> reverted to its original name as did St. Petersburg,

Actually, it hasn't.  Little of the pre-war city remains, and very few
Germans live there today.  But as the city of Kant, Euler, and others,
it is very much part of Germany's history.

> current understanding is that it (as the major city of the East
> Prussia province) is still controlled by Russia.  If I'm wrong
> about the current status of East Prussia, please let me know.

I could add that it was split up; the largest part (not
including Konigsberg) is Polish now.  It doesn't matter
for your argument.

Some cities already occur in multiple nations: Tashkent occurs in
Russia (ought to be: Soviet Union), Marseille occurs in both the
Roman empire and France.  I think we agree that a distinction
between present and historic nations would be reasonable: at least
in the default nation set, all nations with existing nations' names
must be identified with these modern nations; their city names must
be part of the nation today.

So the cities above, plus Wien and maybe a few more, will be out.
'Prussia'  or the 'Second German Empire' could include them.

--
Reinier