Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposed update to nations

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] proposed update to nations
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:58:33 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi again!

> Actually, I think you have 100% there ... it's fine with me if you
> remove them.
>
> > and in German:
> >
> >  "Breslau", "Stettin", "Danzig", "Konigsberg", "Posen", "Thorn"
>
> Yes :)  Actually, "Breslau" was already there.  I added these mainly
> to raise this question.  I don't think anyone will miss them much.

Fine.

> However, the same is true for the Roman city names, if we equate Romans
> with modern Italy.  (Massilia is in France.)  And the Russians (which
> has been discussed before).  And the English!  (Can you rename the
> 'English' to the 'British'?  I will do a proper English flag and list
> of cities if you want me to!)
>
> The proper approach, I think, is to limit city names to cities in the
> present country iff the nation's name is the name of a present country.
> If not (Soviet Union, Romans), any city may be used that was once part
> of the empire.

Yes! That's the best approach we should take:
modern nation - current cities
historic nation - historic cities
It will be easy as roman Massalia is french Marseille, so we
won't have conflicts in most cases.

> > I still don't know if we should keep default nations.ruleset
> > small or put as many nations there as we have.
>
> I agree with you that Civ II rules should stick to the Civ II nations.
> One nations ruleset would include all nations.

OK, so probably the solution will be: civ1 nations.ruleset with
our old 14 nations, civ2 ruleset with current 21 nations, and
normal freeciv ruleset with much more like Dutch, Polish,
Danish, Japanese, Brasilian and others I have and other people create.
Extra nations can be created for scenarios. I think it would
be good if we had Sioux nation for civ2 compability (the only
one still lacking) - can you think a their flag???.

/Jerzy