Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] version numbers

To: Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] version numbers
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:15:16 +0200

> For Freeciv, I don't think we really want to maintain a separate
> development series and stable series.  It's too much hassle and overhead.

Agreed.

> But at the very least, if you're going to use oddness, you should probably
> use even for stable and odd for unstable -- people will be less surprised
> that way.

Well, the versions are mentioned on the metaserver, and I think they
raise a false expectance of compatibility.  So I agree with
Mattias Anderson but I would prefer to go further: use

  freeciv-1.8p2sep06

for CVS versions created on Sep, 6.  It will be easy to modify the
version string automatically, and the chance of unexpected
incompatibilities is reduced.

--
Reinier