Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] version numbers

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] version numbers
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:34:20 +0200

> Reinier Post wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, would this be the date when compiled, or when checked out,
> > > of when last change checked in, or what?
> >
> > When checked out.
>
> Well, that doesn't sound very useful to me, but maybe I am
> misunderstanding, because below you mention using a crontab
> on the server which seems more useful.

Of course.  I meant 'when checked in'.

> As I mentioned before, you can't simply change PATCH_VERSION
> because it is assumed in some places in the code to be integer
> valued.  But one could do something using the VERSION_LABEL
> patch I posted, eg setting it to something like "-cvs-19990913".

OK.  I don't remember seeing that patch, sorry.

> However this still seems messy and non-trivial to me, because
> of the number of places the version is defined (and eg have to
> re-generate configure from configure.in), and due to possible
> problems with cvs-developers overwriting or having conflicts
> with the auto-updated file(s).

How is this different from two developers checking in changes
at the same time?

> And what happens when one
> wants to release a stable version, accessible from a CVS tag?
> Never mind if we ever want to use CVS branches...

I don't know.  I don't care.  I'm not a developer.  It was just
a suggestion.

> Even the date may not tell you enough, because you could still
> have two incompatible versions with the same datestamp.

Yes, I mentioned that.  I don't care.

> global counter which is updated every check-in might work, but
> would be painful in other ways and even more prone to causing
> problems for cvs-developers.

Yes, the idea is ease of identification, counters would defeat that.
Just appending -cvs as you suggest is an improvement, but I would
prefer 1.8p2-cvs to just 1.8.1-cvs for the current version string.

--
Reinier