Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] version numbers

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] version numbers
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:49:13 +1000 (EST)

Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> Well Freeciv is getting realy big, maybe we want to release some
> unstable versions along the way to the next stable version.
> The recent issue about the metaserver could be fixed by just patching
> the old version 1.8.2 to 1.8.3 and release that. BTW. why hasn't that
> been done? .. do we still wait for the old metaserver to get up or?

(You mean 1.8.1 to 1.8.2.)

I think this would be a good idea, but I don't really have the
time or inclination to do this myself.  Would anyone like to
volunteer to do a 1.8.2 release like this?

Having current freeciv cvs write-access may be an advantage for
this, but would probably not be necessary.  Actually it may be
easier _not_ to try use cvs branches for this, but just have
someone with a patched source tree which they make a release from.

(I'm thinking of this as a one-off minimal release; if we were
going to have a large-scale stable series then cvs branches
would seem the way to go in that case.)

I guess this would require applying the change-default-metaserver
patch, increasing the version number in all apporpriate places,
making minor updates to documentation, and then building a release
distribution ("make dist") and an overall diff from 1.8.1-release.

-- David