Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization
From: Martin Christensen <factotum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Jul 1999 10:36:11 +0200

Well, I'm making myself available for an Esperanto translation, and
possibly Danish, too, while I'm at it. To be perfectly honest I
haven't the slightest idea of how everything works beneath the surface
of FreeCiv... I'm just on this list for the principle of matters. :-)
The approach I would like to see is more or less as follows: all text
to be translated is gathered in simple text files, where explanations
of what's what are present but commented in some way.
  Now, about the server telling the client what text to display and
how, wouldn't it be easier to just enumerate all standard messages?
Arguments such as who's involved with what and why shouldn't be
difficult to incorporate. That would also mean less network overhead,
and all the additional work will have to be performed by the clients,
which are typically the most idle components anyhow.

Martin

--
Anyone who has realised the importance of Esperanto
is morally obligated to work for it.