Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:58:31 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> David Pfitzner wrote:
>
> > So probably, the ruleset files should have a section giving
> > lists of languages, and then a list of translated names for
> > each language.  The server would read in all the translations,
> > and send to a client the default-language names and the names
> > in the client-prefered language, so the client can do translations.
>
> No, I would think about keep logic and translations separate. If game
> uses modified rules then translations still apply - Batlleship is a
> Battleship regardless of amount of hp it has. If rules will modify NAME
> to something else, then it will just not get translated - most
> reasonable thing that can be done.

The thing is that modpacks often _will_ change names;
eg, the Ancients modpack changes lots of names (most?);
so would a fantasy modpack; even the Civ1 ruleset has some
different names.

Not translating the new names is certainly an option, but
if someone can be bothered to translate them, then a better
option is to provide a mechanism by which they can, which is
why I thought allowing a list of translated names in the
ruleset would be better (more general).

> > For generic helptext, each entry in the helptext could have multiple

> The way that would allow reliable checking of changed descriptions etc,
> would be to keep every subject in different file (and keep all of them
> in zip file for example). After that translation could be taken as
> "correct" if it is created later than original file.
> Somebody could later provide tool which would compare zips and display
> not actual entries side by side for easy correction...

Hmm, that seems too painful to me...

Regards,
-- David