Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linuxredac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization
From: David Pérez Serrada <david@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 02:15:09 +0100 (GMT-1)

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> David =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E9rez?= Serrada wrote:
>
> > It is a really big patch
>
> I would actually like to put this in CVS in a series of
> smaller steps, rather than with a monster patch.
>
> So far I have added basic gettext files as provided by
> gettextize, and added common/fcintl.h
Ok... fcintl is a include file that add some macros to
make more easy the mark of translatables strings, this should
be included in all files that mark strings (c files of course)
And need of config.h to be included.

> What I would like to see now is a patch which changes
> configure etc, and civserver.c and civclient.c, to provide
> basic working support.
Ok... here it is

> I would prefer changes which mark strings and provide
> translations to be later, or at least separately.
> (Well, if you like you may mark _one_ string and provide
> _one_ translation for testing purposes ;-)
In this patch are only one string (well... really two, one
in client and one in server) marked as translatable.

> And a question: is it possible to tell gettext where the
> translations (.gmo files) are without doing "make install"?
> Eg, to just run freeciv from the untar-ed and compiled
> distribution directory with translations in ./po ?
Ehmmm.... i don't know... how to make this easily.... of course
you can change the definition of GNULOCALEDIR to point to other
directory, but this directory must to have a structure like this

gnulocaledir/es/LC_MESSAGES/freeciv.gmo

Of course, if anybody know a better solution, please tell me....
I know only a few things about autoconf and friends, so maybe there is
a easy way to do it.

                      Ta otra....        David

+--------------- David Pérez Serrada <dperezs@xxxxxxx>   -----------------+
|        Hay que ser lúcido para ser fuerte, fuerte para ser útil         |
|                       y útil para ser feliz.   - Spinoza                |
+------ Visit http://www.ioba.med.uva.es/~serrada/  also for PGP key -----+