Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: linuxredac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dperezs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, permath@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:48:52 +1000 (EST)

David Pfitzner wrote:

> There may be other issues (eg, sorting "alphabetically"?),
> but the above should do for starters :-)

I remembered another one:

5. data/Freeciv (Xaw client only).  This file is usable as an
X resources file, and is also compiled into the client.  It
contains some strings which should be translated.  It would be
possible to providea a translated resouces file, but a danger
is that an out-of-date resources file can easily crash the
client, or create bad visual effects, or effectively give
broken dialogs.  And I'm not sure whether all available
translations of the resources should be compiled in...

Maybe somehow have translated resouces file provide _just_
translated string resouces, to override such strings in the
basic file.  As well as being more compact, this would give
less chance of bad effects from out-of-date translated resources.

Regards,
-- David