Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Changes request

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Changes request
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:20:27 +0200

Jules Bean wrote:

> PNG seems good to me.  It's an open, free format which offers lossless
> compression.  Free code exists to read it in C, and I imagine Java.
I've just downloaded small lib for reading png in java and I must say
I'm impressed - only 50kb, very simple interface integrated with awt
Image/Observer classes - it is why I love java :)
How much work will take integration of png into C code ? I suppose that
it depends on fact if pixmaps can be created from pngs as easily as from
xpms.

> Rotation of tiles is trivial from a coding point of view. However, most
> tiles have directional shadows, which make them appear 'slightly 3D',
> which would look very strange rotated...
Yes, it's the point. BTW, why there are only few tiles for mountains,
rivers and forests ? Wouldn't it be easier to make everything uniform ?
And to continue on the subject, how it is done in civ2, so "they get it
with fewer tiles and get better quality" ?

Artur