Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Native Win32 port of Freeciv (My cranky mail

To: hop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Native Win32 port of Freeciv (My cranky mail)
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 22:48:54 +0200

Warning...
This mail is a cranky mode mail... :)
Don't take it too seriously...

On 1999-06-01 14:35:46, hop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm interested in doing a native Win32 port of Freeciv and I just thought
> I'd float this idea out to all you freeciv developers and maintainers.

> Thoughts?

My honest thought is: Run Linux!

I'm sorry if that sounds intolerant or anything but I don't know why
anyone would want to program anyting for windows for free...
All other things aside prigramming is an incredible lot nicer in
Linux/Unix than in Windows...

I don't really hate Windows...
But programming for Windows?!?!?! For free?!?!?!

Really, if You are willing to put up with that kind of suffering You
should improve gtk for windows...

I'm sorry about this mail if it doesn't feel right...
I'm tired... I'll sleep now...

Well, I might as well put all my complaining in one mail so that You can
just delete it one time if You want... :)

I've started to browse the code to try and implement cityplans...
Comments!!!! Please!!!
And why can noone indent decently???
Use a tab to indent!!!
If You feel that You are getting to far to the left with
tab-indentations You should rewrite tyhe code anyway!

And what about the if (0) stuff?
And a switch consruct with one case in it???
And don't write numbers in the code!!!
Use constants! With long and descriptive names...
And a main() with more than 300 lines is not right...
Ever heard of functions?

Well, well...

As I said...
Don't take this to seriously... :p
I love You all anyways... :)
I'm sorry I'm being cranky...
I'll sleep now...
Maybe I'll be happy tomorrow and write some cityplan stuff if my exam
goes well (yeah, right) :)

Linux kernel coding style:

'First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards,
and NOT read it.  Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture.'

'Chapter 1: Indentation
Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters.
There are heretic movements that try to make indentations 4 (or even 2!)
characters deep, and that is akin to trying to define the value of PI to
be 3.
Rationale: The whole idea behind indentation is to clearly define where
a block of control starts and ends.  Especially when you've been looking
at your screen for 20 straight hours, you'll find it a lot easier to see
how the indentation works if you have large indentations.
Now, some people will claim that having 8-character indentations makes
the code move too far to the right, and makes it hard to read on a
80-character terminal screen.  The answer to that is that if you need
more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed anyway, and should fix
your program.
In short, 8-char indents make things easier to read, and have the added
benefit of warning you when you're nesting your functions too deep.
Heed that warning.'

'Chapter 4: Functions
Functions should be short and sweet, and do just one thing.  They should
fit on one or two screenfuls of text (the ISO/ANSI screen size is 80x24,
as we all know), and do one thing and do that well.'

I'm sure things are not as bad as someone might think just reading this
mail... :) But please consider this and try to sort out some point using
a lot of salt...

/Daniel - sorry... :}

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)