Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Spies, Diplomats veterans etc.

To: Rizos Sakellariou <rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Kris Bubendorfer), freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Spies, Diplomats veterans etc.
From: Kris Bubendorfer <Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:00:07 +1200

One thing I didn't mention.  Diplchance still applies AFTER the mission is
completed.  That is, it represents the chance of a spy being caught by the
civil authorities after performing it's mission.

> Although the idea of reducing hp's seems good,
> the problem i see with the following is that
> it changes dramatically the odds currently in
> place (as defined by game.diplchance which is
> no longer taken into account) in favour of a
> stronger attacker.

I know.  That is deliberate - if you want to be invulnerable, then
you should be a democaracy.

> For example, a veteran
> diplomat succeeds slightly more than 4 out of 5
> against a defending diplomat - see table below:
>
> A \ D    Dipl.  VD/Spy Vet.Spy
> ===============================
> Dipl.    0.50   0.186  0.064
> V.D./Spy 0.814  0.50   0.263
> Vet.Spy  0.935  0.737  0.50
>
> (it is assumed that both units start with 10 hp)
>
> To fix this, game.diplchance should be taken into account
> in defensestrength (in spy_versus_spy), and the strength
> of different types of diplomat/spy should be modified.
> I have to think more before coming up with a good solution.
> Any suggestions on desirable probabilities in the above
> table is welcome (assume that game.diplchance remains 3).

Perhaps, that's why I asked for input.  There probably should be a home tur\f
advantage, but it was too great previously.

--

Cheers Kris...