[Freeciv-Dev] AI (was: Beta 1.8.0)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] AI (was: Beta 1.8.0)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 07:28:12 -0300

On Mar 05, Per Mathisen decided to present us with:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:
> > Who is the sadist (sadicist ? sadicisist ?) who coded this damn AI ??!!!
> > Even in EASY (I repeat: EASY) mode, I was pitifully destroyed, disintegrated
> > , annihilated, reduced to ashes and dust by the AI. Please
> > do something or little newbies like me won't be able to win a single game.
>
> I've heard this a lot lately. Could we do a little mangling of the easy
> AI before 1.8.0? Perhaps reduce research by 50% or something? Maybe we
> could add a "really easy" level ;)

The problem is that John Stonebreaker made the AI omniscient
because back then it was the only way for it to win. Now the AI
has grown beyond that, so I have already proposed a while ago
that the AI's omniscience should be a server option
_independent_ of difficulty level. Perhaps even default to off,
because a newbie who can't beat the AI probably can't figure out
about a server option and a veteran who can beat the AI surely
can. To be honest, I'm not a really good player and I feel kind
of cheated when playing against AI - not to mention that you
play a completely different game, as you have to protect your
capital from the beginning (it knows where it is as soon as you
build it) and there is no point in trying to hide.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.