Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Beta 1.8.0

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Beta 1.8.0
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:40:45 -0500

Matt Busigin (jediknight@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> The key (for me) in beating the AI is getting the right advances at the
> right time.  The first thing you want to get is The Republic - skip the
> Monarchy.  It *will* take an extra 2 or 3 advances, but its worth it.  Next,
> do *nothing* but go *straight* to navigation and magnetism.  Do not deploy
> any ships until you get Caravel's, and then once you get magnetism start
> producing Frigate's.  Dominate the seas - don't let them get a single ship
> off their island, and they are doomed!

This will probably work great in games against a small number of AIs,
when you have your own island.

I normally play against 4-6 "normal" AIs with the default settings.  This
virtually guarantees that I'll share turf with someone who's pumping out
military units like crazy.  In this case, the best bet is to go Monarchy,
and crush your neighbor(s) until you have sole ownership of your landmass.
*Then* you can do the Republic/ship thing. ;-)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.