Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 02:31:45 -0300

On Mar 01, Franck Schaefer decided to present us with:
> I   was   just   surfing   to   activisions  CTP.    Bad   times   for
> freeciv-developper ?!

I don't think so. I can see no possible way how CTP or Alpha
Centauri could be more fun than FreeCiv - there aren't new
features every 2 months ;-)

And as others said, you can safely expect most CTP new features
to be in FreeCiv before the end of the year.

As for language, as a C++ advocate I thought I should reply :-)

> Is there a  special reason for using  C ?

A lot of them. The two most widely used:

1: C++ isn't as portable. Not all platforms have compilers and
libraries compliant to the ISO standard yet.

2: less people know C++. It's easier to learn than C, but any
"hacker" who wants to earn the title knows C already.

> If so, why  was a qt-client accepted.

It wasn't :-) But this was due to license problems, not
language. The fact that it's written in C++ will probably mean
it will never get integrated in the main source tree, however
(even after Qt 2.0 is released with a real license).

The GTK client shares a lot of code with the athena version. But
a C++ Qt client would have to rewrite a lot of things, so there
wouldn't even be a benefit to integrate it with in the source
tree.

> My  oppinion is, that  the concurence (CTP) is  such strong,
> that   we  should   use   the  most   modern  programming   techniques
> (C++ for example) available. Otherwise ... bad times rising up.

Here I disagree. CTP isn't concurrence; it doesn't have the two
most interesting features of FreeCiv (a: you can hack it, b: it
changes so fast). Also, it runs on GNU/Linux but not on a lot of
other platforms FreeCiv runs on. If FreeCiv goes C++, a good
portion of all these three features would be lost.

Of course my _personal_ opinion is that every hacker should
learn stdC++, but that's not realistic ;-) I also think that
perl and C should be trashed asap ;-)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----