Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)

To: Franck Schaefer <fransch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (no subject)
From: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:44:43 -0500 (EST)

On 1 Mar 1999, Franck Schaefer wrote:

#I   was   just   surfing   to   activisions  CTP.    Bad   times   for
#freeciv-developper ?!  Currently I'm doing some stuff on cityplans and
#scripting language and my biggest problem, i.e. the worst slow down comes
#by writing in C. I don't want to get problems with Nicolas, but using C++
#would make things much easier, faster, safer.  No Vector's container's and
#list's must be programmed ...  all algorithms are speed/space optimized.

Nope - no bad times, at all.  FreeCiv will be played for a variety of
reasons:
                1) Its free
                2) You can hack at it
                3) Its still damned good

Please don't start a C vs C++ war.  We use C.  Recoding FreeCiv the right
way in C++ would be a massive waste of time, even if there would be any
advantage (which there isn't).

#Is there a  special reason for using  C ?  If so, why  was a qt-client
#accepted. My  oppinion is, that  the concurence (CTP) is  such strong,
#that   we  should   use   the  most   modern  programming   techniques
#(C++ for example) available. Otherwise ... bad times rising up.

"Bad times rising up?"  My arse.  If anyone wants to port it to C++, they
can.  The source is out there.  I have a feeling that the QT port will be
mostly Cish code without much object oriented abstraction at all, because
writing it all the "right way" in C++ would mean recoding most things.

C is fast, portable, and everybody knows it.

                        cheers,
                                matt

Matt Busigin [Perl/Tcl/Sh/C/C++/Lex/Yacc/HTML UNIX Programmer]
      Member of Geeks Anonymous - http://geeksanon.ab.ca
      e-mail : spod(at)ewtoo.org, jediknight(at)xwing.org
      web    : http://kharduin.net/~mbusigin
      talker : tb.dynip.com 2010