Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 2 tilesets now in cvs

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 2 tilesets now in cvs
From: Roar Thronæs <roart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:16:55 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Rizos Sakellariou wrote:
> >
> > > Assuming we have the Engels 45x45 as default, I think the
> > > alternative 30x30 set we ship should be the brunus tiles
> > > plus the dwp units, instead of the current "classic" tiles.
> >
> > If the above implies that what is now classic in the CVS
> > will disappear, let me raise my voice and vote for this to
> > remain in the standard distribution! It's a matter of taste,
> > and i really like (or am used to?) the until recently standard
> > tile set...
>
> What if the "classic" tiles were included in cvs, but not
> in the release tarball?  So old-timers could still get them
> easily (and use ./civ --tiles classic) but we don't increase
> to size of the release distribution too much by including
> too many tilesets?

I have played a game with the new tiles, and I think they are a setback
for playability, at least on 14-17 inch monitors at about 1024x768, and
to some degree on 19 inch monitors at about 1280x1024.
I get to view less of the map, and I do not need all that detail on a
single tile.
(And my screen was already filled, since I also need to have the Messages,
Science, Trade and City windows up.)

That was my reasons for still keeping a set of 30x30 tiles in the release.

-Roar Thronæs