Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 2 tilesets now in cvs

To: rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 2 tilesets now in cvs
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:10:21 +1100

Rizos Sakellariou wrote:

> ok - maintaining a collection of tiles/units in the ftp site
> sounds an equally good option to me!

Yep.

> PS: BTW, trying the Feb-14 version and using the "classic" tiles,
>     it seems to me that the color of some flags (US, British) has
>     changed. The same effect was obtained with the "classic" tiles
>     from previous distributions, so this makes me wondering: Is this
>     affected by a `hard-coded' color option anywhere in the code
>     that has changed recently or what?

This is due to the fact that flags are now transparent by
default (because of the engels tiles).  For the classic tiles,
some of the blue colours in the flags are "semi-transparent"
(that is, have a checkerboard of transparent and opaque-blue).
When transparent flags are off, the transparent parts are black,
so you get blue+black = dark blue. When transparent flags are
on, you get some of the background showing through,which is
usually something like blue+green, giving a lighter blue.

Personally, I don't think the transparent effect with the
classic tiles is very useful, and I wouldn't mind the blue
parts of the classic flags being filled in.

This reminds me: some of the flags in the engels tiles
are different to the classic ones.  In some cases this may
be reasonable (eg, Russian instead of Soviet), but others
are strange (Brazilain for Aztecs??) and in any case, I wonder
if we want to have the _same_ flags for both included tile sets?

-- David