Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Tiles restructuring proposal

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Tiles restructuring proposal
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:16:12 +1100

Daniel Gudlat wrote:

> My proposal:
> Have 16 tiles with the grassland connector edges, that are otherwise
> transparent. Then, for every terrain type, have two tiles: one for the
> basic terrain (e.g. desert), and one other for a special visual gimmick

Didn't the dbennett tiles/patch (now out of date) do something
like this?  I seem to recall it started with many fewer input
tiles, but generated variations on the fly.

Regarding your proposal: I think the question is whether you
can get it too look as good (or better!) than the current system,
and particularly to guard against everything looking the same
too much.  I don't know.

> Now, does that sound sensible and doable, or am I just raving mad? ;-)

Or both ;-)

-- David