Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug? bomber/artillery stack killed by riflemen

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug? bomber/artillery stack killed by riflemen
From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:44:23 -0500

> > >         Ummm?
> > >         Have you seen what happens to troops that attack into the face of
> > > air superiority?  The Bay of Pigs invasion and other engagements through
> > > history have shown this to be a bad idea.
> >
> > That is a different case, because the air units are attacking the ground
> > units.  Of course the bomber can do that, but if it doesn't the ground
> > units can ignore it.
>
> Are suggesting that the bomber should ignore attacking units by default
> and let the ground units get slaughtered?

I'm saying that every unit, ground, sea, or air, has an attack and
defense.  It has a turn to attack, and the rest of the time it defends.  If
we were talking about an armored unit in the square instead of a bomber,
this would be obvious.  A bomber is the same in that respect-- it gets its
turn to attack my opposing ground units, and then it has to wait and
defend.  The only difference is that my ground units shouldn't be able to
attack the bomber.

Realize that the Civ1/2 rule in question doesn't say that a bomber
contributes strong defense to a stack of ground units.  It says that if an
air unit is present in a square, then no ground units may attack that
square.  This is, in my opinion, totally unrealistic.  Ground units should
still be able to attack the ground units in that square, of course at the
risk of getting nailed by nearby air units.