Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug? bomber/artillery stack killed by riflemen

To: Greg Wooledge <ic5035%tss1crs.amgreetings.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug? bomber/artillery stack killed by riflemen
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:45:36 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Here's something that just happened to me that's definitely *not* the
> way I remember it in Civ1.  (I'm not sure about Civ2.)
>
> I had a stack of artillery sitting outside an enemy city, with a bomber
> on the same square as protection (oh, and a fortified cavalry too, just
> in case).  In Civ1, nothing could've attacked this square except a
> fighter.  But in Freeciv, I lost the whole stack to an enemy rifleman.

Doesn't seem that strange to me.

Bomber has defense 1, 20 hitpoints
Artillery has defense 1, 20 hitpoints
Cavalry has defense 3, 20 hitpoints

So without terrain, your best defender would be the cavalry, defending at 4.5
with 20 hitpoints.  If the attacker was veteran, it attacked at 7.5 with 20
hitpoints.  So it should win 94.48% of the time.