[Freeciv-Dev] bug? bomber/artillery stack killed by riflemen

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] bug? bomber/artillery stack killed by riflemen
From: Greg Wooledge <ic5035%tss1crs.amgreetings.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:05:26 -0500

Here's something that just happened to me that's definitely *not* the
way I remember it in Civ1.  (I'm not sure about Civ2.)

I had a stack of artillery sitting outside an enemy city, with a bomber
on the same square as protection (oh, and a fortified cavalry too, just
in case).  In Civ1, nothing could've attacked this square except a
fighter.  But in Freeciv, I lost the whole stack to an enemy rifleman.

Is this an intentional change from Civ rules, or is it a bug?