Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new feature

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new feature
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:48:24 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:
> There are some more problems:
>
> 1) Should everyone see the mine-field ? (if no, should the minefield
>    become visible, after it has been detected ?)
>
> A Minefield should never get visible. So you really think where to lay
> them.

This would only be annoying, and work better for smaller games than larger
(ie it damages "scalability"). I think minefields should be visibile to
the player putting them out, and that they should become visible to other
players as their units step on them.

Yeah, I hate memory games... don't ask why :)

> 2) Should goto-function be aware of own mine-fields (if they never
>    become visible)
>
> Goto-function should *NOT* be aware of them, so you would always use
> goto.

I think GOTOs should be aware of visible minefields, yes.

> 3) Should it possible to clean mined areas?
>
> Look at reality. It takes years to clean such an area -> NO (or it
> takes a loooooooooooooooong time)

Well, erhm. Forget reality, think play balance. If minefields become too
powerful, we'll see too much defensive gameplay. There is currently very
little defensive tactics for freeciv, and minefields could improve that,
but let's not overdo it.

I'd suggest engineers can enter minefields without being damaged, and
can remove them in 2 turns. (Hey, 2 turns = plenty of time.)

> What do you think about it ?

I generally think new features should wait until all civ2 features
are fully implemented, rulesets are more improved and a "freeciv
style" is established (as opposed to classic civ2 and civ1). Let's
wait until we start working towards 2.0 or something, shall we?

Yours,
Per