Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new feature

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new feature
From: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:52:19 -0500 (EST)

#Well. There is one more problem. Minefields will be stored in the
#tiles structure -> cheating is very simple, because the client can
#patched !!!

This is sort of a rediculous argument, IMHO, because it is pathetically easy
to cheat in a multiplayer game anyways.

#So here are some solutions:
#
#1) hey! we are all heros, we do not cheat

That's the leap of faith you always must take when playing a multiplayer
open source game.  Its just a fact.

#2) everyone sees all minefields

That sucks.

#3) no-one sees them

That sucks.

#4) you query for each tile if there is a minefield (much network
#   traffic)

Not really.  I think this is the best way to do it.

#5) map for each player server-side (then we could implement much more
#   neat features [real fog of war])
#6) ??? suggestions ??? (I am quite sure, I missed the best things)

Actually, idea #5 is neat, althrough possibly slightly bloated.  If each map
were pointers to the real map, then it would be feasible.

#> I'd suggest engineers can enter minefields without being damaged, and
#> can remove them in 2 turns. (Hey, 2 turns = plenty of time.)
#
#2 turns are a bit too fast...

Agreed.  Maybe 5 or 6.

#> I generally think new features should wait until all civ2 features
#> are fully implemented, rulesets are more improved and a "freeciv
#> style" is established (as opposed to classic civ2 and civ1). Let's
#> wait until we start working towards 2.0 or something, shall we?
#
#Well, why not implement in parallel? I am quite sure, minefields will
#take some time (gfxs, some GUI-work, helptexts and lots of other minor
#problems ;-)

I wonder how mines would look on the playing map.. hmm.  A bunch of little
dots?

                                matt

   Matt Busigin [Perl/Tcl/Sh/C/C++/Lex/Yacc/HTML UNIX Programmer]
          "Overdrawn?  But I still have checks left!"
     xwing.org Debian Linux: 600 BogoMips AMD K6 300 128mb RAM
belgarath.xwing.org Debian Linux: 230 BogoMips AMD K5 166 128mb RAM
       email : spod(at)ewtoo.org, jediknight(at)xwing.org
     ** Email for 2048 bit PGP public encryption key! **