Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new feature

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] new feature
From: Sebastian Fischmeister <sfischme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:35:09 +0100

> Yeah, I hate memory games... don't ask why :)

Well. There is one more problem. Minefields will be stored in the
tiles structure -> cheating is very simple, because the client can
patched !!!

So here are some solutions:

1) hey! we are all heros, we do not cheat
2) everyone sees all minefields
3) no-one sees them
4) you query for each tile if there is a minefield (much network
   traffic)
5) map for each player server-side (then we could implement much more
   neat features [real fog of war])
6) ??? suggestions ??? (I am quite sure, I missed the best things)

> I think GOTOs should be aware of visible minefields, yes.

Depends weather they are visible or not.

> I'd suggest engineers can enter minefields without being damaged, and
> can remove them in 2 turns. (Hey, 2 turns = plenty of time.)

2 turns are a bit too fast...

> > What do you think about it ?
>
> I generally think new features should wait until all civ2 features
> are fully implemented, rulesets are more improved and a "freeciv
> style" is established (as opposed to classic civ2 and civ1). Let's
> wait until we start working towards 2.0 or something, shall we?

Well, why not implement in parallel? I am quite sure, minefields will
take some time (gfxs, some GUI-work, helptexts and lots of other minor
problems ;-)

  -Sebastian