Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] roadmap, Re: civil war

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] roadmap, Re: civil war
From: Kris Bubendorfer <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:08:01 +1300

> Per Mathisen wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering what needs to be worked on right now. According to the
> > roadmap the next release should feature new tiles, rulesets, the space
> > race, civil war and improved races. Trent and David seem to be
> > progressing fast on the tilesets, but since we aim to keep backwards
> > compatibility, the rest of the stuff seems to be out for now... or
> > have I gotten it all wrong?

I can't speak for the rest, but the civil war patch is entirely server side
(and finished) (OK, there is some additional stuff under help).  It does not
in anyway effect the backward compatibility of clients.

I personally think it is imperative the civil war patch gets into use ASAP, as
resolving unit stacks with different owners is difficult.  I'd like to claim
it is 100% bug free, and while I haven't seen a bug for ages - statements like
that kid no one....  :) :) :)  Certainly any major addition should get lots of
playtesting.

Actually, I wonder if backwards compatibility is too constraining an ideal.  I
certainly find it a pain, and I'd just as soon abandon it.

Cheers Kris...