Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat Treaty Gold Bug / New Races

To: mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat Treaty Gold Bug / New Races
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:39:49 +1100

Hi Mika!

Mika Korhonen wrote:

>  Here we confront the bug: A's
> acceptance should expire but instead A's green thumb remains, so B quickly
> accepts the treaty and gets some extra gold which I don't think A expected
> :-)

Yes, I can reproduce this; thanks for the bug report.

> I studied the code a little to be able to add the Finnish people (no, Linus
> was not ruling them...)

Well why the heck not?! :-)
Should he be the default ruler if/when they get added? :-)

> and I succeeded after grepping and reasoning awhile
> but that required changes in multiple files (number of players, that 14
> seems to be hardcoded in some places... anyone interested in the patch?-)

Adding extra races or making races customizable has come up
from time to time; someone else has already worked on this a
bit, though their work hasn't yet been included into official
freeciv.  You can find a patch at

(which adds Japanese and Spanish, and apparently makes it easy
to add other additional races).  Its a patch against Oct-23 cvs
freeciv, so not sure how/whether it will work against other
versions...

> Would it be possible in future to centralize the code of tribes in one
> (two?) file(s) so that new tribes: the cities and characteristics would be
> easier to add. Another possibility is to make a subdir containing a file
> for each tribe.

Something like that would indeed seem a good idea.

Regards,
-- David