Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to allow more : on chatline

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to allow more : on chatline
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:32:28 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 01:55:08PM +1100, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Reinier Post wrote:
> >
> > The current server disallows dates (18:16) or URLs on the chat line.
> > It also disallows a : as the first character.
> >
> > The attached patch fixes this, [...]

> It seems to also prohibit player names containing spaces?

True.

> I'm not sure I like that part;

Neither do I, but without that restriction, in a game in which the players
are `Louis I' to 'Louis XVIII' [1], it would be impossible to send any
private messages.  It's easy to improve (and complicate) the check, or
leave it out and live with this (just undo the patch to client/shared.c).

--
Reinier
[1] (Louis XVII being slaughtered by barbarians before he could found a city)