Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat Treaty Gold Bug / New Races

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat Treaty Gold Bug / New Races
From: Mika Korhonen <mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:02:09 +0200 (EET DST)

Say A has established an embassy in B's town. Now, A initiates meeting and
proposes following clauses

        - A offers 10 gold (*)
        - B offers 20 gold (a reasonable treaty for A, you see ;-)

Then A accepts the clauses and his green thumb points up.
Now B does not like that and makes up a new clause

        - A offers 30 gold

which replaces the clause marked by (*). Here we confront the bug: A's
acceptance should expire but instead A's green thumb remains, so B quickly
accepts the treaty and gets some extra gold which I don't think A expected
:-)

This happened last night as we gathered to play (I was in the role of A, as
one might guess...) I was able to repeat the bug on Sun (CVS snapshot Dec
16)

I studied the code a little to be able to add the Finnish people (no, Linus
was not ruling them...) and I succeeded after grepping and reasoning awhile
but that required changes in multiple files (number of players, that 14
seems to be hardcoded in some places... anyone interested in the patch?-)

Would it be possible in future to centralize the code of tribes in one
(two?) file(s) so that new tribes: the cities and characteristics would be
easier to add. Another possibility is to make a subdir containing a file
for each tribe.

        Mika
"I am convinced that the manufacturers of carpet odor removing powder
have included encapsulated time released cat urine in their products.
This technology must be what prevented its distribution during my mom's
reign.  My carpet smells like piss, and I don't have a cat.  Better go
buy some more."
                -- timw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx