Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] The Finns Patch / Tiny Minor Little Fixes

To: mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] The Finns Patch / Tiny Minor Little Fixes
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:38:52 +1100

Mika Korhonen wrote:

> Here comes the Finns patch to those interested.

> I also include a patch to fix a couple of tiny mistakes:

Thanks for the patches, Mika.

I think the Finns patch should be merged with Massimo's
Spanish/Japanese (+ other improvements) patch, and be
combined into cvs after we release 1.7.2

One problem I think both of these patches suffer from is
that both the client and server have to agree, at compile-time,
on how many races there are, and, ideally, their details (eg,
otherwise messages may have wrong race names etc).

It would be good if we could have a more flexible system where
strict compiled-in agreement was not required.  Eg, maybe the
server has all information about races, and sends the information
to the clients when they connect.  Or maybe at least have some
"dummy" races.
One problem is flags, since the server sending flag images to
clients is problematic, because ideally we don't want to restrict
whether the client might be using alternative/enhanced graphics, etc.

Another minor problem related to extra races is what to do with
scenarios which include start positions, if you choose a race
number greater than the scenario was designed for...

-- David