Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Approximate win_chance

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Approximate win_chance
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:03:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What's the Civ III combat system BTW?
>
> G.

A detailed link is posted below

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=577756#post577756

The short explanation

HP:
The only different in conscripts, standard, vetran and elite units is the
number of hit points they have. During battle each time the unit loses on a
battle roll they loose 1 hp.

Conscript 2hp
Standard 3hp
Veteran 4hp
Elite 5hp

Multiply all these numbers by 10 to get actual hps. They use hp bonuses instead
of Freeciv attack/def bonuses for vet status. Barracks turn out veteran troops.
Standard are what you get without barracks. I don't know how you get
conscripts.
Elite only happens after battlefield promotion. Elite troops can become great
leaders.

More defensive bonuses for terrain are available in Civ III.
Strategic Missle Defense has a 75% chance to destroy incoming ICBMs. Long
overdue change. No amount of SDI can stop enough nukes thrown at the target.

Bombarbment/bombing
(Have only tried bombardment a little so its hazy here)
The attack value of the boming unit affects its successful rate, but how
exactly is UNKNOWN. Also what factors determine the probability that determines
if its a city improvement, unit, city wall, population hit is UNKNOWN. Also I
assume all successful bombarbments on a military units only results in 1hp
lost. I recently found that bombardment units have a value called rate of fire.
From feedback, rate of fire is the number of "projectiles" the unit can fire
per attack turn. For example a unit with a RoF of 2 does 1 attack on a city,
the city is affected by 2 hits (if both did hit).

Army
Units in an army can only move as fast as the slowest unit in the army. When an
army attacks or defends the first unit continues to fight/defend until the unit
is down to 1hp. After which the unit gets replace with the next unit. This
continues until the army gets to its last unit where that one is destroyed when
its hp reaches zero, but the other 1hp units remain undestroyed (albeit heavily
damaged).

The armie's and bombardment are the two great differences between Freeciv and
Civ III style combat. This involves adding range(we sort of already have this
for SDI) and the concept that units can be out of range.

There is also the retreat ability for units with more than 2 move points
against units with fewer move points. If they are losing a battle, they have a
50% chance of escaping the fight. They cannot break off if the opponent is down
to 1 hp or if the attacking unit is down to 1 hp.

Aloha,
RK.

Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more useful
than the sun."  "Why?", he was asked.  "Because at night we need the
light more."