Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] AI can fly v2 (fwd)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] AI can fly v2 (fwd)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:10:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- per@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > On turn 353 I see player A flying overhead with lots of Stealth Bombers.
> > > Turns 354->375 I don't see any enemy units. On turn 376 I see some
> > > Warriors moving around in the outskirts of my empire. It is turn 381.
> > >
> > > In your scheme, it would have forgotten about those Stealth Bombers, and
> > > geared up to kill his Warriors. Bad idea.
>
> > Has someone sent in patches I don't know about?
>
> You mean you didn't notice my "AI super planning ahead patch"? Sheez...

;). In all seriousness, I would like to see the AI plan ahead for at least
technology and target selection and caravans for trade.

> > The current AI does not plan more than one turn ahead. We still don't
> > need to keep the full tile info. Just retain the ones with unit
> > movements. We also need to remeber the performance killing aspect of
> > your idea.
>
> I just want to remember a table containing { Unit_Type_id id, int turn,
> int number }, accessed by by id:turn.

I've changed my position. I like this aspect of your idea. Have you considered
though:

What happens if on turn 356 the enemy moves 1/2 of his stealth bombers out to
another city. If we still keep the old tile, the AI is now fooled into thinking
the enemy has incresed his force by half. You have to be very clever about
removing old tiles. You have to keep track of what unit type, moved last, and
if that same unit-type has moved again, discard/update affected tiles.

> The idea is that we should build units that can defeat those of the enemy.
> But not being omniscient means we must record all observations of enemy
> units, and try to guess what it has based on that. So more recent
> observations are more valid, but old observations are valid too.

Patches?

# Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you
want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
{Lords and Ladies, 1992, Terry Pratchett}