Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] AI can fly v2 (fwd)

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: per@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC][Patch] AI can fly v2 (fwd)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:51:18 -0400

At 04:20 AM 02/04/12 -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

>--- per@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:

>> Sure, but right now we don't have analyzing/profiling code to go with a
>> non-omniscient AI. The AI is stupid and players are complaining the 'hard'
>> AI is not hard enough, so let us do what we can to make them suffer, ok?
>
>I agree with making them suffer. I suggest a 'Petr' test for the AI. If the
>hard AI can beat Petr on a regular basis, it's good enough. (Why Petr?
Because
>he says he's a bad player).
>
>I suggest we put in analyzing/profiling code. Unfortunately, I can see big
>slowdowns happening because of all this extra code. No way to avoid it.
Why is
>AI so incredibly computationally expensive!

Because people get hung up on fuzzy concepts like "cheat" without thinking
about or understanding the "practical" implications and thus insist on
rebuilding the human mental processes in code.

To build a fuzz map, you can start from a real map and fuzz it, or
start from zero and try to build it by (expensive) collection of
partial real data.

The end result is a fully equivalent partially correct understanding, but
some people don't comprehend this, and fall back on their emotional
reflexes and buzzword analysis rather than intelligence in deciding
on the solution :-).

>> I think it is just some calculations that are screwed up somewhere. Don't
>> know where, though.
>
>Guess. Anything at all would be handy. I've looked at f_s_t_k, and
>find_beachhead, and I suspect that one of these has the bug.

Raimar refuses to fix the find_a_beachhead bug. He remove the fix from
an earlier patch and rejected three separate people's rediscovery of
this over several months, R_T_F_L :-).

Add a city value to city_reinforcements_cost_and_value() to fix f_s_t_k:

  /* Add a basic city cost, i.e. SETTLERS + 20 per extra pop
   * This insures that even empty cities have value.
  */
  pcity->ai.f += (pcity->size + 1) * 20;

You probably want to change the g to 1 in kill_desire() calls for cities
in advMilitary.c and aiunit.c to reduce the desirablility of attacking
heavily defended cities over weakly defended ones. It is not a complete
fix, but it helps.

Aloha,