Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:34:07 -0600

> You will have to find someone with a system that has a known good=20
> motherboard who will be willing to plug your CPU in to test it. =20
> National, Floyds echo, Surplus store across the street from National,=20
> Cybertron on east Osie.  It may cost you more than a new CPU to have=20
> that done.  Stay away from the DURONS as they are nothing but crippled=20
> ATHLONS.  Cheap is nearly allways more expensive in the long run.  -=20
> Larry Weaver

I would have to disagree with this, and higly suggest looking at this=20
review/benchmark:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=3D1927&p=3D1

Essentially the 1.6GHz Duron ($41) was on par or equal to a 2.6GHz Celero=
n=20
($85) or a 1.8GHz P4 ($120), and beat them in most cases.

That said, as an example an 86$ atlon beat all three badly (XP2600) as di=
d=20
most of the atlons ($56-$88)

Admittedly this benchmark was under windows, but it included one compile=20
test (q3) which had all the amds soundly trouncing the intel ones.

Price/performace wise, a Duron is a good buy, and if you want to you can=20
always upgrade later to an athlon 3200+ or some such.=20

James L