Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?
From: DAVID CARMICHAEL <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:40:20 -0800 (PST)

-=Pick Your Brain below=--
--- DAVID CARMICHAEL <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am about ready to cry...
>
> Either my CPU, video card, or motherboard crashed on
> my Duron system...
>
> You dont't happen to have test system to help track
> down to make sure which part it is do you??
>
> --David

OK here is what I "THINK"
Either the CPU has gone bad or the motherboard has
gone bad..

The motherboard is a an MSI K7T (MS-4847+SCSI)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=96

This "MB" does not use "BEEPS" but uses a fancy 4 LED
lighting system...

Even wtih all memory pulled the "MB" is reporting that
all is well .. all four the the LED's are 'GREEN'
which the Manuel states it is trying to load the
"OS"..

I have disconnected all IDE drives..... yet when I
turn on the system the case IDE active light comes on
and the keyboard never goes into its test (num lock,
ect.. flash)

I can pull the CMOS reset and the case power button
does not work..

Per the manual IF it was a bad CPU I would get four
'RED' led's

Re-Reading the Manuel it stated that a bad "battery"
could be the cause of my troubles... and feedback on
this thought??? Before I go an spend $5 on a new
battery when it is something else??

--David