Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?
From: jlweaver <jlweaver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:56:50 -0600

Sounds just like a problem I had recently.  You have a AMD CPU right?
The AMD CPU chips run awfully hot.  You can burn one out even though you
have the AMD recommended heat sink/fan combination.  Most of the time
the CPU can run along ok but if you are doing some work which requires
CPU intensive work the temperature of the CPU goes thru the roof.  You
will have to buy a new CPU chip.  Do not use the old heat sink or the
AMD recommended heat sink.  I recommend a _*Thermalright Inc #SLK-900(A)
heat sink*_ and a _*80mm squirrel cage blower from Cooler Master*_.
That blower moves a ton of air and is fairly quiet and you can buy a
model that the fan speed is adjustable from the outside of the case.
The heat sink is massive and all copper. You will have to fabricate a
spacer for the fan since it is lower than the standard fans (1/4" as
opposed to 1") because of the mounting method required by the copper
heat sink (no screws).  MSI has a program Core Center which can monitor
the CPU temperature and sound an alarm if the CPU gets over a user set
temperature.  You must use a _*Ultra CPU PROTECTOR*_ between the CPU
chip and the heat sink since the sink is heavy.  You can get the the CPU
Protector from CybertronPC locally for under $10.00.  You will have to
order the rest of the stuff off the internet.  Do not use the old white
paste you normally use but buy a little tube of _*Ceramique by Artic
Silver*_ which you can buy at National Computer.  Now dry your tears and
get out your pocketbook.  This is going to be costly.  Shortcuts are not
an option here.  Hope you got money from Santa Claus.
Also, when you get the CPU up again the *very first thing you must do
is* run SCANDISK with the thorough option on all drives.  This is
necessary to repair the faulty disk writes that the CPU may have
caused.  This will probably take a lot of time but you can't afford to
skip it if you have valuable data on the disks.  Then you will want to
run Defrag..

Be sure to install Core Center and have it load at boot time.  You can
set the alarm point and also watch the temp climb when you stress the
CPU.  You can download a program called PRIME95 which will exercise
memory and the CPU to varying degrees.  It is a program that computes
prime numbers by several methods.  Good luck.