Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Dead Motherboard?
From: DAVID CARMICHAEL <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 13:21:35 -0800 (PST)

Jim - thanks for the reply...

The Duron was never overclocked and was using the AMD
furnished CPU fan and I had even added a "SMOKE STACK"
fan on the top of the case.. so I really do not think
that it was a over heated CPU?!?  But could be..

Why would the MB do the following then..

After having my current board off for 24 hours just
turned it on [really hoping!] and it stopped and
error-ed at the point
of KEYBOARD INI which per the Manuel is after the cpu
test, but before the VGA INIT..

The "MB" does not "BEEP" like most.. it is a MSI K7T
Master [6745] + SCSI
It uses a fancy four light LED DIAG system.
Before it had never shown any errors.

No Santa was not nice to me this year... I just want
to try to get this system up and running again...

I have had troubles with it since I built the system
with "RE-BOOT HANGS" and most of the time just turning
off and on the system it would start up correctly.. I
always thought that it was due to the SCSI not being
used that caused the hangs..

So far the feed back that I have gotten is:

-IF- "MB" bad CPU is still good...
-IF- "CPU- bad then the "MB" has also been damaged..

So I am going to take the risk and replace the "MB"
and hope that the CPU is still good..

The CPU has a three year warrenty from AMD.. so if
after changing out the "MB" the system does not start
up then I will contact AMD about how to
exhange/replace the CPU.. and hope that the new "MB"
was not damaged in turing it on once.

--David