Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: colocation options

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: colocation options
From: Lars von dem Ast <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:37:09 -0600

Steven Saner wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:45:28PM -0600, Lars von dem Ast wrote:
>

>>I've always been frustrated by the choices out there, myself. If you
>>don't want an "ftp-only FrontPages PHP MySQL Perl" or the equivalently
>>super-lame MS arrangement, you seem to be out of luck, unless you want
>>to pay through the nose. Their excuse is always security. To me, this
>>whole scene is suffocating all the innovative, exotic small open source
>>projects out there like Mason, Zope, mod_scheme, etc. It's hard to find
>>even Java hosting! I guess I don't blame the Web hosting companies as
>>much as I blame the general pervasive anti-peer-to-peer attitude of the
>>ISPs and big telcoms. My former M'ridge DSL service came with a static
>>IP, but when I asked Carrolls Web about domain name, they wanted to jack
>>$15/mo. out of me. This is all a shame, and the anti-peer-to-peer forces
>>will eventually turn a beautiful thing, the Internet, into a very bad
>>thing, i.e., one-way brain cloning a la TV and radio.
>>

>Security is a valid concern and is part of it, but also relevant is
>administration simplicity. The "ftp-only FrontPages PHP MySQL Perl"
>combinations work fairly well in multi-entity domain hosting with a
>single administrative organization and satisfies most user
>requirements. Adding some of the other things that you mention, adds
>complexity at nearly an exponential rate. Also, some of those things
>really require administrative access to the server to use well. Mason,
>for example, is a very cool application, but to really utilize its
>capability requires the user to be able to reconfigure the server and
>restart the server and other administrative operations. This is just
>not something that works in a web hosting environment.
>
>As to the "anti-peer-to-peer" forces, I have no idea what you are
>talking about.
>
>Steve

That's why I don't blame the Web hosting people that much: I'm sure it's
complex. Still, everything would be much simpler if the Internet had
evolved along its original peer-to-peer road. (See the O'Reilly book
"Peer-to-Peer: Harnessing the Benefits of a Disruptive Technology" or
check out http://openp2p.com ).

Lb
---
Cheney: Whom do you serve?