Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: colocation options

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: colocation options
From: Lars von dem Ast <prenzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:45:28 -0600

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

>the main reason is because i want to be able to have full control over what
>goes on the box, what software is installed, etc...  call it power hunger
>or overly anal or whatever, i just like to have the experience of actually
>doing the administration rather than having someone else do it for me while
>i just put up a website or something...  plus, a buddy will be sharing the
>box and most likely splitting the cost with me, so that helps, i'm just
>looking to see what kind of deals i can find on colo...
>
>gLaNDix

I've always been frustrated by the choices out there, myself. If you
don't want an "ftp-only FrontPages PHP MySQL Perl" or the equivalently
super-lame MS arrangement, you seem to be out of luck, unless you want
to pay through the nose. Their excuse is always security. To me, this
whole scene is suffocating all the innovative, exotic small open source
projects out there like Mason, Zope, mod_scheme, etc. It's hard to find
even Java hosting! I guess I don't blame the Web hosting companies as
much as I blame the general pervasive anti-peer-to-peer attitude of the
ISPs and big telcoms. My former M'ridge DSL service came with a static
IP, but when I asked Carrolls Web about domain name, they wanted to jack
$15/mo. out of me. This is all a shame, and the anti-peer-to-peer forces
will eventually turn a beautiful thing, the Internet, into a very bad
thing, i.e., one-way brain cloning a la TV and radio.

Lb
---
Cheney: Whom do you serve?
Bush: Saruman!