Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Garage Sale (was: Re: Case Modes?)

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Garage Sale (was: Re: Case Modes?)
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 00:35:31 -0500

I would be willing to help

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:discussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jonathan Hall
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 11:00 PM
To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx

> Anyone interested in a computer garage sale or something simular?  I
> still have this Compaq tower with scsii drives and monitor, external
> scsii bays, cables, cards, and the like.  I am running out of space
> and I can't see the floor anymore.  Just have a path to the computer
> chairs.  Anne

Can we do that as part of the Saturday Sale?  If we pay the normal (is
it
$50?) fee, can we sell stuff, and share a table?

My feeling is that if we do a standard 'garage sale' with computer
equipment, we won't really draw enough of a crowd to make it worth
while.
If we do it at the Saturday Sale, then we've already got a crowd (and a
bit more expense, understood).

Perhaps we could do it once on a trial basis?  Either split the $50 fee
amoung the participants, and/or charge a commission on items sold, with
the proceds going to ACLUG.

Here are a couple of my braindstorms to make such a thing work with the
least amount of overall effort:

1) Get a small group (probably no more than 3) people who organize the
thing.

2) People with items to sell shall provide a list detailing said items
to this team, and asking prices (and possibly minium prices if we want
to allow
haggling)

3) The group reviews the list and nays or yays the items, and informs
those individuals who are expected to bring their items.  This way we
don't get someone bringing in their collection of 300 200mb SCSI HDs,
and using space that could be used to sell something of value that a
customer might actually want (not that I know anyone with 300 200mb
SCSIHDs... ;)

4) The individuals who own the items will be responsible to bring the
items to the Saturday Sale _and_ to remove unsold items from the
premise.
Anything unclamied at the end of the show becomes property of ACLUG
and/or the volunteers manning the booth.

5) People who sell items should pay a percentage and/or a flat fee to
ACLUG to cover the costs of operating the thing, and to buy pizza for
the volunteers :)  This might be something along the lines of (table
fee)/(number of sellers) + 10% of items sold or something.  Any money
that doesn't go to pay for the table and lunch goes into the general
ACLUG fund.

6) The group of organizers is responsible for determining other
procedures--such as, who puts prices on the items (seller or the group),
and how do we track what items belong to who, and who gets what money,
and whatnot.

Is any of this feasable?

If so, I would be willing to be a member of the organizational group.
Perhaps Anne and one other person would want to participate, as well?
If Anne is working on the standard ACLUG booth, perhaps two others could
help organize the garage sale?

I'm willing to participate partially b/c I have a lot of junk (can
anyone say 200mb SCSI hard drives? ;) to get rid of :)

--
Ethernet (n): something used to catch the Etherbunny.