Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux and Creationism...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux and Creationism...
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:10:10 -0500

> I dunno.  I'm not at all sure this guy isn't serious.  There are people who,
> in the face of all scientific evidence still believe in creationism, so why
> not go another step and find someone to blame for promoting the evil
> evolution?

It's important to note that creationism does not _necissarily_ contradict
"all scientific evidence." While the most popular of 'creationlist' beliefs
say the world was created in either 7 24-hour days, or in 7 1000-year 'days'
("A day to the Lord is as a thousand years"), thus placing the creation
around 10,000 or 17,000 years ago, respectively, there are many other
"creationist" viewpoints--some of which do not contradict scientific theory
at all--and others that contradict it even more.

My grandfather, who was a Nazarene pastor until his death in 1986, was one
who beleived God created dinosaur fossils to create the apearance of age,
but that dinosaurs never actually existed.  That's totaly silliness if you
ask me.  Not only does it fly completely in the face of scientific reason,
by saying science is void because it studies a hoax, but it tells us that
God is a liar.  The God I read about in the Bible never lies.  Despite this,
and other 'flaws', my grandfather was a good man anyway :)

As I mentioned in a previous e-mail, I consider myself an "old-Earth
creationist" as opposed to the much more common "young-Earth creationist."
It is probably fair to say that most/all young-Earth creatonist theories do
fly in the face of good scientific theory.  But, again, it's important to
note that there are _other_ viewpoints amoung the creationist circles.

-- Jonathan

--
"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." -- Lord Kelvin,
president, Royal Society, 1895.