Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Memory Types

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Memory Types
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:15:20 -0500

David Carmichael wrote:

> Does anybody know of a program that will fit on a floppy/CD to tell
> and test RAM on a computer no mater what "OS" is installed? Self
> booting disc.

The old norton utilities could do this to a limited extent, but it could
not tell how many sticks of memory nor their sizes.  Only the total
memory.  And is not useful on the newer
machines.

> I have been asked to upgrade a group of computers and do not want
> to open the cases (see #1 below) till I have the correct RAM in
> hand.. but due to the age of these system the RAM could be any of
> two basic packages and then the sub sets of SIMM or DIMM.
>
> The systems are AMD-K6 systems..... which currently only have
> 32meg.

Probably PC100 DIMMS - usually pc133 will work as well
However, you did not mention if these are clone machines or brand name.
Some machines use EDO memory and often cannot mix EDO and non-EDO in the
same machine.

If they use SIMMs then all bets are off without physically checking.
These could be parity or non-parity, EDO or non-EDO, and the motherboard
also often limits the maximum memory you can use.

A couple minutes to open a machine and check the memory  may save you a
lot of hair pulling later.