Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: volunteers

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: volunteers
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:49:48 -0600

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> > How would you implement something like Ryan Hunt's request (browsable,
> > searchable database of member information, member-controlled) in zope?
>
> That functionality fundamentally exists in Zope "out of the box"... the only
> work that needs to be done is writing a public front-end to the "add user"
> function.  I'm sure there are many 3rd party products to do this already.
> If not, it could probably be done by a Zope novice in an afternoon, and by a
> Zope expert in less than an hour.

You can extend the member database schema to include new fields, including
one-to-many items like Linux distros? Then extend the UI to administer and
search on those new fields? Just checking.

Actually, I don't doubt that it could be done, nor that it would be fairly
easy. But I don't buy your SWAGs for a minute, especially for novices (who
I've found can take weeks or months and fail completely). I think I could
do this from scratch in php/mysql in 1-2 days, although I'd probably SWAG
it at 2-3; openacs would be significantly easier, since the member tables
and administration framework already exist -- I just "alter table" to fix
up the database, then patch up the UI. If you have zope set up to use an
external relational database (i.e., not the default object database), the
job should be pretty much the same.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/