Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] A Modest Proposal

To: ACLUG <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] A Modest Proposal
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:56:50 -0600

During the meeting Wed. last, it was mentioned that there had been complaints
from some readers about the volume of mail pertaining to issues only of
interest to members of ACLUG.  These were people who are not able to come to
the meetings, and this information was not of interest to them.  I assume they
were checking the ACLUG site because they were curious about Linux, or because
they considered the site a Linux resource.  I feel that being a "Linux
Resource" should be an important part of our contribution to the continued
growth of Linux.

Because of the above, discussion centered on the idea of a separate list for
active, attending members.  Then came the appeals from people not able to
attend meetings, but who wished to be part of  our group, and were able to do
this vicariously thru the list.  People from ElDorado, KC, Bremen, Hesston
come immediately to mind.  My apologies to others whom I did not remember.

One thing legitimizing this exclusive list has been voting.  And it seems
right that those at the actual meetings should be the ones to vote on things
that affect them and the group.  So I would propose the following:

--Keep the LINUX and LINUX HELP lists readable by anyone in the world who
wants to use this resource.

--Have a LOCAL GROUP list that is open to anyone, anywhere, who is interested
in what we are doing.  People would have to sign up for this - understanding
that this list is for everyone who wishes us well, and this list would be used
to DISCUSS things pertaining to local meetings.

--A VOTE list.  This would be exclusive, limited to members of ACLUG.

--joh