Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: volunteers

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: volunteers
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 18:44:05 -0600

Clint Brubakken wrote:

> I disagree with that.
>
> As its already written in Zope, we can extend and change it, with out
> rewriting the whole thing.

Dont change it because it is too much work?

Just because the original site creator used Zope does not mean something
better and more user friendly is not available.  From the discussion I
have seen here, many people would be willing to help with the site, but
they are put off by having to work with an unfamiliar product.  You
yourself even noted that you have been unable to make changes and keep
the site current because of the hosting and Zope.

> Another advantage is the I know several of the commitee, already know
> zope and as there already involved in working with ACLUG I would think
> they would also help with the website, and can help teach others.

Why does it have to be a member of the committee. Why not a few
volunteers who love working with web sites and may have some very good
ideas and skills.

> Also ACLUG has  books in the library about Zope and Web Programming in
> Python
>
> And a completly biased opinion, is that I know and like zope.
>
> I don't know much about OpenACS so I can't argue its merits vs Zope, but
> I can tell you things I like about zope.
>
> Everything can be done through the web (TTW) or via ftp.

FTP or web based support are also avalable on many platforms.

> It has built in user permissions and roles and different access levels,
> and a built in authentication system.

so does apache

> It has several prebuilt products, including wiki's.
>
> and the people in the #zope channel on openprojects are actually helpful

And no one else is??
I find that hard to believe, based on personal experience.

> On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 14:46, Tom Hull wrote:

I even have gone so far as to offer to help with a database backed site
and even offered server space for it.
The need to have it local is NOT RELEVANT since all management can be
done remotely.
The only thing gained by having it local is the satisfaction of "having
your own server" and being able to physically touch it (but then most
people tend to ignore it as long as it works even if it is local.)
Administration from the console is almost unheard of in the real world.