Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: volunteers

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: volunteers
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:33:28 -0600

OpenACS requires PostgreSQL (may run on Oracle, but if you have Oracle, you
can run ACS, which is deep in bed with Oracle). The reason for PostgreSQL is
the requirement for transaction processing and a heavy dependence on
referential integrity checks that PostgreSQL has and MySQL lacks (at least
until recently). For a community website I think that's a plus (and I'm not
anti-MySQL in general).

OpenACS was developed to run on AOLserver, although there is also a module
to run it (with some alleged performance degradation) on Apache. I've never
run it on Apache, so don't know what-if-any gotchas are there; if you can
dedicate a machine, AOLserver is pretty easy to set up, and performs pretty
well.

My impression is that Zope is more specifically a publishing tool, whereas
OpenACS is explicitly intended as a community development tool, although
there is a lot of overlap between the two. I see the basic requirement for
the ACLUG website as being something that encourages the community to come
together and share, aggregate, and sort out their experiences, so that each
of us can gain from our common experiences and mutual interactions, which
is at least philosophically very much in the OpenACS vein. Show me a way
to do that in Zope and I'll be duly impressed.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/