Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Finally! mail with linux

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Finally! mail with linux
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 06:38:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Bruce Bales wrote:

> Thanks Lowell,
> In Netscape Preferences, the bottom of the page is off-screen.  I can
> move the screen and I can shrink it (it's now about 2 inches tall on the
> Linux machine) but only the top of the window is there.  No cursor-bar
> on the right  and no way to move down.  So the window can be resized,
> but no way to get to the bottom.  I managed to set mail preferences
> (server names, user, etc) and then get the highlight to a button and
> assume the OK button below was on.  It must have been because a new-line
> got the info entered.  No way to run a railroad.

Can you grab the title bar and move it left or right enough to
find one of the top corners, and use them to shrink it
vertically? Later, Rinse, and Repeat until it all fits on the
screen.

> What I'm really trying to do is set up a server.  Now netcfg
> won't work.  Connection to ":0.0" refused by server.  invalid
> MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key.  Oh, well.  bruce

Did you startx as a user, and try to run netcfg as root? Root
doesn't have permission to display to [user]'s screen.

Although, it shouldn't take X-windows to set up a server ...

-jeff
--
A disciple of another sect once came to Drescher as he was eating his morning
meal.  "I would like to give you this personality test", said the outsider,