Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Jan 2000 14:56:38 -0600

I do highly recommend ADSL over cable modems.  SWBell has had a few
reliability issues here in Dallas.  My ISP is not swbell.net but
fastlane.com, but they're only in the Dallas area.

Anyway, there should be no problem with Linux.  They may claim that
Linux is not "supported" but it works fine.  The ADSL modem comes with
a crossover UTP cable but with a standard cable you can hook it to
your hub (10Mb/s).  Just get the IP range, netmask, and default
gateway from them and configure it just like normal Ethernet.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
The 74,756,927th prime number is 1,500,641,503.