Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ADSL, SWBell & Linux
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:33:18 +0000

Carl D Cravens wrote:

> I've decided to replace my dedicated modem ($180/mo) with ADSL
> service.  swbell.net offers this service for $79/mo with 5 static
> IP's.  (I only get one with the modem through SouthWind.)  I was waiting
> on SouthWind to make ADSL available, but I'm hearing that their pricing on
> "dedicated" service is going to run much higher than swbell.net's
> pricing.  (Like in the range of my dedicated modem.)

We waited on Southwind for quite some time, before we just hand to do
the ADSL route with SWB.  I'm guessing, but I doubt Southwind gets
things moving for ADSL before March, and by then they will have lost a
large part of the market for this service.

> I know that Goerzen has service through SWBell in Dallas.  Does anybody
> else use a Linux box with ADSL here in Wichita?  Are there any things I
> should be concerned about regarding Linux, or can I just have SWBell
> install the line without any concern for what I'm planning to hook it up
> to?

Our primary connection to our ADSL connection is through a firewall
which is basically a linux box with a bunch of stuff locked down.  SWB
did not care.  Of course they don't then install their software and you
have to do all the network stuff yourself, but hey, I would not want
them controlling my network anyway.

> Is anybody using swbell.net as a service provider in Wichita?  How do you
> like their service?  Do you know how well connected they are, whether they
> experience a high number of outages, etc?

Service is fine, although the news service is is a bit slow at times.

I've seen some complaints about through put, most of them where in
Texas.
--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...